Your child’s mental health is just as important as their physical well-being.
“Mental health” refers to how we feel about ourselves and others as well as how we deal with life. You – and all your child’s caregivers – have an important role to play in promoting good mental health. You help foster mental health by providing:
- A safe space to live and play
- Healthy types and amounts of food
- Love, care, and comfort
- Time for active play and engagement with other children
- Time to rest and relax
- Guidance and discipline that is firm but not harsh
These tips and more are available at www.illinoisearlylearning.org/tipsheets/mental-essential.
For more information visit the sites below:
- Illinois’s Approach to Building and Sustaining Infant and Early Childhood Mental Health Consultation
- Illinois Action Plan to Integrate Early Childhood Mental Health into Child- and Family-Serving Systems, Prenatal through Age Five